Enjoy this easy crock pot recipe that's perfect for potluck dinners and barbecues.
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- 6 cups water
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas, sorted and rinsed
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 8 ounces diced ham
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Pour the water into a slow cooker, add the bouillon cube, and stir to dissolve. Combine the black-eyed peas, onion, garlic, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, ham, bacon, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, and pepper; stir to blend. Cover the slow cooker and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours until the beans are tender.
199 calories; protein 14.1g 28% DV; carbohydrates 30.2g 10% DV; fat 2.9g 5% DV; cholesterol 9.6mg 3% DV; sodium 341.4mg 14% DV.